Saturday 20 April 2013

Making Memories-Camera Obscura

My work for the last part of my project is all based on memories. This interest has developed from talking to people within my family and gathering their stories and memories. I soon realised that the act of sitting and listening was also creating a new memory too. I wanted to produce work that translates these memories through the transferral of  imagery using several techniques.  I have thought about how we keep memories, how we wrap them within us, bottle them, store them, encapsulate them and transfer them to others. With this in mind I have tried to achieve a physical response to each. By using given imagery and objects I have so far mummified these objects in plaster that will be then used to  project the images of memories onto them.  I have wrapped  given objects in gauze and muslin as both of these materials are light, delicate and can be manipulated a bit like our brains. I have used dress cutting paper [ tissue] and transferred onto it images using printed photos and text. These have been cut and sewn into a structure of a paper dress that will be illuminated from within.  My biggest achievement so far has been experimenting with camera obscura. I first saw the process in a book a couple of years ago and spoke of trying it out earlier in my major project proposal. Only now has the practice become  n an important part of my design process. I art directed the process and selected the props, layout and scenery to be used in the shot. I decided I wanted it to be about my own memories and the building of new ones. The shot also includes me, my neighbouring houses and my four children As they are all relevant to my life now. The first few experiments were a lengthy process, I had to keep moving furniture as they were causing unwanted shadows. With the help of a photographer and many experiments with exposure times I got the shot I wanted.  I am so pleased with the results and I would love to try more, especially when travelling to other countries. The process was easy to do once the preparation is done and you should always story board your concept first. Picture also looks good upside down.

No comments:

Post a Comment