Saturday 20 April 2013

Portfolio visit1 - Meeting Alan Dalby




My first portfolio visit of this term was with Illustrator Alan Dalby. I was introduced to Alan’s work through the college as he graduated from the same course a couple of years ago. I was worried about meeting Alan as his work has a very digital approach and I didn’t think my work would be of interest to him. Alan has been making a success of his illustration work and designs jewellery too. When looking over my work I don’t think he was sure what to make of it bit he was still very kind about it. My portfolio had been quickly arranged into sections of when and why the images were made but Alan suggested arranging them to fit along themes of Practice instead. This advice was welcomed and I have started to rearrange according to practice rather than projects. He also noticed there was a shadow boxes around a couple of the images and not others and I agree that I prefer them without. As for my work he thought it was diverse and liked the Folio society brief designs the most.  He took an interest in my work experience prop making pictures and advised a bigger layout or a double spread for them. He also encouraged the use of accompanying text about the filming projects as this would give an added interest to the viewer. Alan gave me some advice on agencies and not giving up on illustration if that is an area I wished to push. We spoke about websites and the fact he has never really used his portfolio and that his website is where his work has received the most interest. It was fantastic to meet Alan and have his feedback on the layout and content of my portfolio. He has said its no problem to get in touch with him in the future for further advice or a revised visit for my portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment